Sunday, May 13, 2007

GRE revision cancelled!!

I had banked in all my hopes upon that revision. They had planned like half a yr ago to revise GRE format in September this year. For those who are clueless, GRE is Graduate Record Examination, a test to be taken by most people who intend to further their studies beyond a basic bachelor’s degree. The general test for GRE involves verbal (English), quantitative (math) and a writing section. And the section that I hate most, of course, is the verbal section. To prepare for this section of the test, many (and I can say majority) test takers actually download the 30,000 word list to memorize. Yeah. 30,000 words, of which many cannot even be found in a Cambridge English dictionary. Memorize 30,000 words just to score a test to enter graduate school? It makes no sense. How does the ability to memorize English words make you a more eligible graduate student???

The revision for GRE was to alter this section of the test, to make it more applicable to graduate studies, such as incorporating more analytical stuff like comprehensions instead of relying on vocabulary alone. I’d rather do that. And it definitely accesses a person’s ability beyond memory-work. BUT THEY HAVE CANCELLED THE REVISION!!!! So now, I have to start memorizing my 30,000 words!!! Argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There goes my hopes of slacking >.<

No comments: