Sunday, October 21, 2007

A change of perspective

Nowadays, I seem to be more affected by certain things going around me. Things that shouldn’t affect me as much. Take yesterday’s show for example. We all rushed home after CG fellowship to watch the final episode of a particular tv show. But I cannot believe how emotionally affected I was by the show. Just a show. But it got me thinking.. of what I will do if I was in a similar situation.. if someone around me was diagnosed with cancer. Not just focusing on the possibility of losing the person, but the reason behind it—cancer.

It just had to happen. Today I received a call, a notification of a relative who was defeated by cancer. I must admit I wasn’t very close to this person, but it struck me nonetheless. I know I couldn’t have done much, but.. having chosen this field to work in, I just feel more obliged to hold more responsibility for such things happening. I know I shouldn’t, and I know that there is a limit to what I can do. I know that whenever I tell people what I am doing and they ask me “so when will you discover a cure?”, it is probably not going to happen in the near future, nor from me (unless if a miracle happens, that is). Yet, I just feel.. I dunno.. like I haven’t done enough. Will my work now affect anyone at all in the future? Will my work be futile, and I end up not having contributed anything at all?

I haven’t found an answer to any of my own questions.. but I will learn to deal with it along the way. In the meanwhile, I just have to be more hardworking and go out even less.. just to complete my work and be a good student.

No comments: