Monday, May 26, 2008

Aging symptoms

Either that, or it’s what university life has done to me. I had maintained a sick-less record from primary 5, all the way until I entered uni. Then, I started falling sick once a semester. And in the recent 3 years, it always has something to do with throat infections and losing my voice. Sian. Luckily my body always knows when I have the time to fall sick. It was only after the YA walk, CG and dinner, when I reached home, then I started feeling dry throat and slow rising body temp. Sunday it got really terrible.. was in bed from 10pm on Saturday all the way til this morning. And with no important experiments/meetings lined up this week, I could rest in peace. I didn’t even sleep a wink last night coz my headache was so bad. Amazingly, after breakfast this morning, my fever subsided and I got up to watch StepUp2. But halfway through the movie, I felt my body getting hotter again.. so I grabbed lunch (yeah no skipping of meals even tho I am sick!) which was totally yummy PURPLE potatoes, and went back to bed. My fever just kept coming and going. And in my grogginess, I thought.. MALARIA! But my fever came and went every 3-4 hours.. which is way shorter than the cycles in malaria. And I don’t remember any mosquito bites. Still, I finally went to see the doc.

And during the visit, my mum brought up the matter of my heart murmurs. (where I made a booboo about saying heart mutters instead of murmurs. Bleah.) I had ignored it coz I never had a second opinion about it. But upon mention, my doc checked, and said that yeah I do have some heart murmurs. Darn. Then he told me to get a referral from him after I recover. And in the meantime, to ask for antibiotics if I got any tooth extraction/surgery, to prevent infection of the heart valves. And I had gone for wisdom teeth extraction without knowing this!! What a risk I had taken. Doc also said something really interesting—that MVP is more common in tall girls. Haha. Oh well. Will think about the echocardiogram after I get better.

No comments: