Sunday, August 26, 2007

Goodfellas, Ivy’s Vendetta

I didn’t realize, that it’s been almost 2 years since I last met Tong. That was when he gave me a farewell treat, before I left to study in the States.

Things have changed so much in these 2 years. From the hall-boy who is always playing, wakes up late and skips all lessons, Tong now wakes up at 5+ in the morning and can even skip soccer games just to do work. Amazing. I am now the one who is unable to wake up properly before 9am to attend my classes. >.<

After a nice, healthy dinner at Sushi Don, we made our way to Timbre to chillout. Bong happened to be there with a friend too! It’s been exactly one month since I last went there, and still not a Friday, thus no timmy. >.<>

First up on stage, was Ivy’s Vendetta. Disappointing, I’d say. The singer was totally unable to build the atmosphere. After a short while, the band left and the regular Saturday band, The Goodfellas, was up. I’ve heard a lot about this band, and had high hopes. Indeed, the band was quite cute, and was very energetic. They were way better than Ivy’s Vendetta lah. But.. I still didn’t enjoy myself that much. For one, the music was not what I was looking for. The songs.. weren’t that nice. Friends commented that it’s too “teen punk”. Haha. Another thing was, the ambience. They are good at raring up the audience, getting everyone to dance. But, unfortunately, this crowd at timbre was mainly there to chillout, not to dance and be high. Thus, I felt it was a good band in the wrong place.

All in all, all 4 of us didn’t really like the experience yesterday. Too loud, wrong music.. Bong and I both feel that they’d like timmy more, just like we do. Miss timmy.. It’s been more than 3 months since we last heard timmy. Boohoohoo…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I strongly agree with you re: the chillout crowd at timbre for if ppl wanna dance and have a loud nite, they would have gone to a club instead.

However, it was Womad night too if you recall and many ppl who streamed in later were from that event thus they were in a party mood. If you are familiar with Goodfellas, you'd know that they are able to cover a whole lot of genres such as blues, r&b, pop, jazz, latin, raggea as well as what you call "teen punk" and rock. Maybe you caught them on the wrong day? Bands have to cater to a larger audience anyways and it is impossible to please every single patron. And I believe that night, a majority of the patrons were in an upbeat mood.

you mention that u've not been around much lately so maybe you would wanna go to timbre 2 at the arts house on weds and fri to see goodfellas at their chillout set and maybe another saturday sans the Womad mood and vibe :-)

I dunt think ublues management would have goodfellas play weekly for 3 nights if they do not suit the so-called timbre image and general crowd liking.

Hope to see you around :-)

x Di