Thursday, September 27, 2007

Life outside the lab

At first glance, it just seemed like my university days were just school, hall, lab and nothing else. Didn’t do anything for the country, didn’t achieve anything big, didn’t live a worthwhile 4 years. Even my lab also nothing to be proud of. But, as I sat there at my first sculpture meeting today, I realized, I actually did a lot outside my regular schoolwork.

My resume.. has an ultra long list of things I did in uni. From all the committees I was involved in hall (pageant comm, environmental comm, production comm, writing comm, block comm, orientation comm), to the sports I was involved in, to the committees I was involved outside hall (funkamania, some other nation-wide video/photography competition).. it was in uni that I tried out various ministries in church like chijmes/youth/thai too.. and there’s the wonderful exchange at Penn.. ivy league university wor! So I think.. maybe.. it wasn’t too un-eventful bah. Haha. Probably just my final year that I stopped all outside activities.. and that seemed to me an entire lifetime. Haha.

So what sculpture meeting was I at today? That’s my newest commitment. I, together with 4 other students from my school (ultra long name of NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering) are gonna join the other 13 faculties in making a batch of 14 marble sculptures, that will be displayed in the new NUS Alumni House. Sculpture, means designing it and really chipping pieces off to make a sculpture lah! Haha. Sounds cool eh? My commitment for the next 4 months. ^_^ And of course, there’s a professional sculptor to guide us lah! It’s our alumnus, Fah Cheong. Today then I know that his art work is everywhere in Singapore.. the pieces in front of NUS cultural centre, some piece in Toa Payoh central, and the most popular one is the boys jumping into the water in front of Fullerton Hotel! That one I’m sure most pple have seen. Now I can proudly say I know the guy who made that! ^_^

No comments: