Sunday, September 2, 2007

If there’re Seasons..

天冷就回来.. by Theatre Practice. that’s the musical I watched today. I’m so glad Wyee dajie (who’s playing in the orchestra for this musical) invited fangers, bong and I to watch (with the best seats too). It’s so worth it! It’s a musical inspired by popular hits of songwriter Liang Wenfu, written by HongKong playright Raymond To, and starring George Chan, Sebastian Tan, Joanna Dong, Magdalene See..


I must admit, I only knew George Chan as a choreographer who was a judge at Singapore’s Dance Floor. Hence, I didn’t know what to expect from this musical, besides the familiar songs by Liang Wenfu, as well as some dances by George. During the earlier part of the musical, I kept watching out for his body movements, trying to see how a famous choreographer like him would dance. I was kind of disappointed to see, that he didn’t have many dance parts, and didn’t even dance in the pub scene! The only times I saw him move around abit.. he looked abit stiff. Haha. Think it’s his role. Or maybe too muscular.. dunno.. haha.. guess I couldn’t help noticing that, coz Wyee kept pointing it out to me when she went for rehearsals. LOL. Well, I must say tho, that though I didn’t catch George dancing much in the show, his body movements were like sooo perfect.. sharp, concise, perfect timing. And because he usually dances as a group, it was easy to compare. Dancing aside, he moves like a professional would in a musical. (well, he IS a pro. Haha) Now I really am convinced of how talented this guy is.



(indeed, it’s his character that forbade him to dance. 'they won't let me dance. My character is pretty stiff, so I'm not allowed to gyrate my hips. I have to look like I cannot dance.' Read more here)




What caught me by surprise, was that George Chan’s Chinese is fantastic! I mean, I’ve only heard him speak English in a very ang-moh-ish way, so I didn’t expect him to speak Mandarin without any ang-moh-ish accent! And… I didn’t know he could sing THAT well!! Whoaa.. totally impressive.. not just because I didn’t expect it, but his vocals are really good!! Listen til the oil leaks out of the ear, as the Chinese description goes.




Ah! And I found out later from Wyee that George cried during the show we watched (which was the finale), and he didn’t the in rest! I’m so honored!! LOL



That's him. He starred in broadway musicals like Chicago and Miss Saigon in London lah!! impressed.


All in all, I had a really wonderful time today. Looking forward to more of such events!! ^_^

No comments: